This recipe is relatively straightforward, but you need to work quickly and very carefully while handling the hot, sticky ingredients.
- 4 cups flour
- 6 extra large eggs
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 shot Whiskey
- Form a well with flour - keep a little extra in reserve
- Add sugar and wet ingredients
- Mix wet ingredients and slowly incorporate flour until a soft manageable dough is formed
- Roll dough into a long rope, about 3/4" in diameter
- Cut and form into 3/4" balls
- Deep fry dough balls at 375 degrees F
- In a separate heavy pan, bring honey to a boil
- Add fried dough balls, and stir until completely coated
- On large round plates, form coated dough balls into a thick wreath shape while still hot
- Lightly coat with green, red and white jimmies (aka sprinkles) to give the appearance of a wreath with berries and snow.