I can’t take credit for this entire recipe, but I am pleased with what I decided to do with the Doritos seasoning mix I found on Instagram. I remember clearly the day about ten years ago that I told a friend of mine my brilliant, untested idea regarding my Doritos addiction. “Wouldn’t it be great if someone came up with a seasoning that tasted just like Doritos but without the fat, salt and calories. I would sprinkle it on everything!,” I exclaimed. As luck would have it our fine friends at Epicurious did just that. My first reaction was amazed delight. My second reaction was disappointment that I didn’t think of it myself. Oddly enough it took two years and a life-changing experience to prompt me to even try it. I decided to start with a breaded oven-baked chicken that I consider a fake fry. Below are all the ingredients you’ll need to create the brilliant Epicurious Doritos seasoning mix and a few extra to transform your ordinary chicken into a tangy, cheesy, crunchy dish. It’s all that minus a bag of Doritos (I had to say it)! The flavor is really close and although it does contain cheese and salt it is still so much healthier than what you’ll find in my favorite junk food. I made this recipe for two pieces (about 1 pound) of chicken because that is what the original seasoning mix from Epicurious best accommodated, but it’s easily doubled or tripled if you need it.
- 2 pieces of bone-in, skin-on chicken – we use drumsticks and thighs
- 2 cups of buttermilk or enough to coat the chicken – we’ve also used regular milk but the seasoning seemed to stick better to the buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika – we used regular paprika and it worked fine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon tomato powder – the Epicurious recipe says this is optional but we never leave it out and you can find it on Amazon
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder – for crunch
- 1/4 cayenne pepper – optional
Instructions – Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes per side, turning once
- In a mixing bowl or plastic bag coat chicken pieces with buttermilk and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes – longer if you have the time
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a small bowl thoroughly mix together grated cheese, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, tomato powder, baking powder and cayenne pepper if using to create the Doritos seasoning mix
- In a shallow dish place breadcrumbs and then ad the Doritos seasoning mix and blend together well
- Next remove the chicken from the buttermilk shaking off the exces
- Dredge the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture
- Add a very small amount of olive oil to a baking dish or cooking sheet and spread with your hands similar to greasing a baking dish for a cake
- Place chicken on the baking dish and place in 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes then turn once and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes
Notes: Keep in mind that oven temperatures vary so check the chicken periodically until you are used to your oven’s cook time. Also, if using a thermometer the chicken temperature should reach 165 degrees. I usually cook my pieces longer than Mike’s because I love that slightly burnt taste. Don’t forget to check out the blog post How to Turn Your Doritos Habit Into Dinner.
You might also enjoy our recipe for Chicken Piccata .