I know. I know. They’re ALL over Instagram. So why do we need another grilled chicken and avocado salad? Because it’s healthy, super simple and most importantly full of flavor. Some things are cliche for a reason! We’re not big dieters over here at Big Bites Tiny Kitchen, but as the weather started getting warmer, we realized we needed some lighter options on the menu. I’m bombarded with reminders that going to the gym is not enough and that we have to change our diet to slim down. We’re not giving up pasta any time soon, but we will happily put salads like this into our meal rotation. There was a lot of oohing and ahhing over this dish and it was deceptively filling and satisfying. There is also very little coking involved. The majority of time is spent on vegetable prep. Wash, dry and chop the lettuce first letting it sit in a colander to drain until you are ready to assemble the salad. Chop the tomatoes and scallion next and set them aside and cut the avocado last. I carefully cut around the avocado lengthwise to separate it in half placing the pit half on a cutting board. Then keeping my non-knife using hand out of the way, with a large knife I carefully whack the pit so that the blade enters it and then I gingerly remove the knife and pit from the avocado. Next I slice the avocado in long strips, skin and all. Then I peel the skin with a small pairing knife. Honestly, there is no one right way. You could just as easily scoop the avocado onto your salad with a spoon. It will still taste delicious. Just be careful however you chose to do it.
This salad should probably serve four but it served just me and Mike and we didn’t feel one bit guilty! It was also our entire meal so that should count for something.
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, washed, drained and chopped
- 1 ready to eat avocado, peeled and sliced or chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 whole scallions, chopped
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- Olive oil, enough to coat chicken and dress salad to your taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, this is approximate as you will just need to cover the chicken to your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, this is approximate as you will just need to cover the chicken to your taste
- Wash and chop the tomatoes and vegetables and set aside, exclude the avocado for now
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strips and place in mixing bowl
- Season the chicken strips with olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and mix until chicken is well coated
- Place a grill pan or large skillet over medium heat and allow to get hot
- Add the chicken evenly to the grill pan and allow to cook on each side for 2- 3 minutes
- Remove the chicken from heat and set aside
- In a large salad bowl add the vegetables and tomatoes
- Next cut the avocado into strips or chunks as noted above and add to the salad
- Dress the salad with balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and mix
- Add the warm chicken and its juices to the salad and serve
Check out the blog post the led to this recipe here!
Looking for a totally different salad idea, check our Green Pepper Salad here.